Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cloud To The Rescue...

To the readers, I recount a real life story of how cloud based applications had saved the skin of my mate in the garment industry, in beating the power cut..and making his day. This is what I mean by the power of the cloud. Enjoy reading.
"It was last sunday evening when a very important video conference was scheduled at 9 pm SL time with me, my designer in SL, and the clients in the US. My designer had finished his layout, and I was busy making the presentation on work/delivery and financial schedule in my PC. Just at around 8:45 pm there was a power cut in our woods, and after many a call was able to get to the Electricity provider call centre. Just the usual, keep your fingers crossed power will be back in no time, was the answer. It was too much of a risk in banking on the guys, and the risk of rescheduling the con-call for another day would have resulted in lost business.
Knowing that most of our apps and data are synchronized in our intranet and with a cloud provider in the US, I had a dart to the local coffee shop (coffee bean) with my laptop and iPhone. Luckily there was generator power. I got connected to the WiFi (free of course), and connected upto the company VPN. Lo and behold I was able to salvage my Sharepoint Portal and power point files and I seamlessly re-scheduled the con-call to start at 9:15pm to recover on lost time due to the power episode. The Webex was hosted in the cloud somewehere in the US.
At 9:15 pm pronto I had a call back to my VoIP client on my laptop. Since my VOIP number was configured on my laptop and iPhone, I had the option of either using the iPhone or laptop, but decided on the latter. The Webex was synched to the cloud based VOIP service provider, for voice/data archival and I was told for company compliance. So there I started my presentation with my designer, and the clients in US, on a wet and quiet Sunday evening in colombo, whilst sipping a Caffe Mocha. The only damage was the Rs. 400/= for the caffe mocha".

No comments:

Post a Comment